In September 2019, the first monograph on amphipods of Switzerland will be released (Fauna Helvetica 32 – Amphipoda). This PDF gives a first insight into different parts of the book. You may order the book using this order form.
The book will officially be released on September 2 during a public release event at Eawag in Dübendorf (Info, in German). To ease the organisation we ask you to register for the event using the link below:
- Date: Monday, 2 September 2019
- Time: 5:30 PM
- Location: Eawag Dübendorf, Forum Chriesbach, Room C20 (directions)
- Welcome note and introduction: Dr. Yves Gonseth (head director CSCF)
- Book presentation: Prof. Florian Altermatt, Dr. Roman Alther, Prof. Cene Fišer, Vid Švara
- Discussion and questions
- After the presentation, everyone is welcome to attend the aperitif. You may buy the book or a poster of the Swiss amphipods at the location.
The book will be published by the Swiss Center for the Cartography of the fauna (CSCF) and the Swiss Entomological Society (SEG). The monograph contains an comprehensive overview about the amphipods of Switzerland, their ecology and their faunistics. It further includes a trilingual species identification key (DE, FR, EN), which is suitable for beginners and experts, and which covers all species of Switzerland and adjacent biogeographic regions. The detailed texts for all 40 species are illustrated, with distribution maps and numerous drawings and photographs. Additionally, the book covers a few species that are hitherto not reported from Switzerland but to be expected in the near future. The wide distribution of amphipods renders them suitable indicator taxa and this book provides the knowledge base needed for future studies, ranging from fundamental research to applied works. We hope that the monograph will meet with wide interest.